Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hexie Heaven

I have a little bit of temptation to share with you today!  I have been toiling away with a project that I plan to have ready for a series of classes that will start in the fall.  This was something that I loved immediately when I say it at Houston Quilt Market last October.  It is an 8 month series called This Goes With That designed by Sue Daley of Patchwork With Busy Fingers, an Australian company that focuses on English paper piecing.  I will be leading the class and passing on tips to make the 16 block variations in Sue's project. Below are pictures of some of my blocks as I was auditioning setting, border and binding fabrics yesterday.




As you can see, I am making this up in 2 different styles, because even though I love the traditional reproduction fabrics in the first 2 pictures, my heart also goes out to the more contemporary bright blocks.  Since I couldn't decide, I am making both!  I do have some fabric "starter kits" that include many of the fabrics shown here, but there also are some bits and pieces picked from my own stash mixed in.  And I will highly recommend that each person do the same to make the blocks uniquely yours.  Don't worry about all those little points sticking out, those won't be showing in the finished product.  This is also a project that can be as large or as small as you choose, depending on how many multiples of the blocks you want to make.  There isn't a formal quilt pattern from Sue but I will be bringing you ideas for ways to use your blocks each month.  And did I mention that all of the blocks are made by hand?  Oh yes!  There will be no hum of machines when this group gathers!  And no hauling around those machines, which makes this the perfect take-along project.  If this is something that you have questions about or need more information, you can check with me at the store and watch for our fall class listing due out in early September.  I already know of a few who are jumping on the EPP (English paper piecing) bandwagon, and each time I show these at work I get more interested folks.  I promise to share more pictures as things start coming together--
Pam

No comments: