Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Art of Quilting

Here's a little bird's-eye-view of part of the convention center.  All of those hardworking and talented businesses bring their samples and patterns to display in their booth.  Not every booth held something that would fit for our store, so part of the challenge is being able to "window shop" to find the things that would catch the interest of our customers.


2014 is the 40th anniversary of the International Quilt Market.
As part of that celebration, we were able to view "Ruby Jubilee", an outstanding exhibit of red and white quilts.  Click on the link to read an article about the exhibit.  
I'm not sure where all of these quilts came from,  but from what I understand, these quilts had been part of a 2011 New York City exhibit from the collection of Joanna S. Rose, featuring her 651 red-and-white quilts.



I have to say that it was a special moment to see these quilts displayed in this way.  Actually gave me the goosebumps!  Some very cool works of art.


I saw this one (below) suspended from the ceiling and zoomed in on it to get a better look.  This was a pattern that I have made!  It was hand embroidered "primitive" angels for each month of the year.  The pattern company was "I Done My Best" and I don't think they are available any longer.  Mine was done in many colors, and is still in my possession.  Now it means even more to me!

1 comment:

KathyinMN said...

I love that your pictures of the red and white exhibit are different from what others have taken. Appreciate your insight and personal connection. And super excited to see what you get in to the shop!,